USA Games Seattle 2018 Welcome Video - created by Special Olympics Virginia but full of good info!
Every four years, Special Olympics holds a national competition for Special Olympics athletes across the United States. The next Special Olympics USA Games will be held July 1-6, 2018 in Seattle, Washington.
Here are the links to the training plans for each sport:
artistic gymnastics golf
And for the first time, the team will include a Unified flag football team comprised of Special Olympics athletes and Unified Partners from UNC-Wilmington!
Special Olympics North Carolina uses the advancement criteria set forth by Special Olympics, Inc. to select the athletes who are a part of Team NC. Gold medal winners from all ability level divisions were put into a random drawing in order to be selected for participation in the Games.
For more information, view SONC’s 2018 Special Olympics USA Games Fact Sheet.
Unified Champion Schools Involvement
Two students from Wake Forest High School, one special education and one traditional education, will also attend the Games as part of the delegation. These two students have been outstanding youth leaders through the Unified Champion Schools program in their high school and will be gaining even more leadership skills as they help the NC team and interact with other youth leaders in Seattle. Congratulations to Sydie Garrett and Olivia Rudolph!
Family Hotel Information
Rooms are being held for Special Olympics North Carolina families. There is no obligation to reserve at this hotel but if you’d like to be with other NC families, here is your chance!
Your Room Block Code is: 346156
Hotel Name: Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Seattle/Northgate in Seattle, WA
Check in dates from 6/30/2018
These rooms are not reserved, they are simply on a courtesy hold!
To reserve your rooms online: CLICK HERE
Using the dropdowns:
- Choose your desired check in date T
- Choose the number of nights you wish to stay
- Choose the number of rooms you wish to reserve
- Click the “Book Room” Button to provide your information
ATTENTION: Courtesy Hold Expires on 2/13/2018. Rooms not reserved by this date will not be available.
Additional NC Representatives
Selected officials and sport development team members from North Carolina will attend the 2018 USA Games as Technical Delegates. Technical delegates advise on the sport rules and help oversee all competition at the Games alongside the local competition manager. Technical Delegates from NC are:
- Alana Brahler – Golf
- Deb Pontenberg – Bocce
- Richard Frazier – Powerlifting
Officials have also been selected for the Games. Those representing North Carolina include:
- Philip Austin – Athletics
- D’Leeshia Lee – Athletics
- Ron Matos – Athletics
- Eric Gilchrist – Athletics
- Willie Page – Athletics
- Anthony Wayne – Athletics
- Scott Boucher – Bocce
- Scott Clark – Bocce (Guilford/High Point athlete!)
- Anthony Smith – Bocce
- Charlotte Smith – Bocce
- Marsha Smith – Bocce
- Elijah Frazier – Powerlifting
- Eynde Frazier – Powerlifting
- James Hollis – Powerlifting
- Chris Pearce – Powerlifting
- Kelly Burnette – Swimming
- Thornton Burnette – Swimming
- Kristine Hughes – Volleyball
- Richard Laskey – Volleyball
- Randall McLamb – Volleyball
- Ronald Mutter – Volleyball
- Brian Webb – Volleyball