Special Olympics North Carolina will host the 2020 Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Swimming Invitational on Sunday, April 26 at the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, NC.
Special Olympics programs from North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, and Florida have all competed at the meet in the past in this event, formerly known as Multi-State Aquatics hosted by Special Olympics North Carolina – Wake County. While this meet has changed venues and weekends, competitors can still look forward to a well-run meet with great competition!
- SONA Endorsement Form (required for programs outside of North Carolina. Registrations will not be officially counted until this completed form, signed off by your state program, is received by SONC).
- Delegation Information Summary & Payment Form (registration fee of $25 per person that includes facility costs, lunch on Sunday, and event t-shirt)
- Individual Event Registration Form
- Relay Team Registration Form
- Non-Athlete Roster
Tuesday, March 24, 2020 – All registration forms due to Special Olympics North Carolina at email@example.com. Checks from outside North Carolina programs can be mailed to:
Special Olympics North Carolina
Attn: Southeast Swimming
2200 Gateway Centre Blvd, Suite 201
Morrisville, NC 27560
Friday, April 3, 2020 – Registration verification sent to Head of Delegation for each program to check for accuracy.
Tuesday, April 7, 2020 – Registration verification due back to SONC at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm registration.
Friday, April 17, 2020 – Head of Delegation information available (divisions/heats,etc.)
This year, our event coincides with the High Point Furniture Market, the largest furnishings trade show in the world. This means that hotel rooms will book up fast, so please make sure to put in your reservations early!
All hotel reservations and payments should be handled by each individual delegation. Special Olympics North Carolina has reserved room blocks at the following hotels. Both hotels offer a rate of $104.00 + tax/night and include breakfast. Please mention Special Olympics Swimming when booking your room.
Holiday Inn Express Greensboro (I-40@Wendover)
4305 Big Tree Way
Greensboro, NC 27409
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Greensboro Airport
645 South Regional Road
Greensboro, NC 27409
Saturday, April 25 – Tentative
6:00 p.m. – Dance and athlete social at the Lindley Recreation Center
7:30 p.m. – Dance concludes
Sunday, April 26 – Tentative
8:00 a.m. – Check-in opens at Greensboro Aquatic Center
8:50 a.m. – Welcome and Opening Ceremony
9:15 a.m. – Competition begins
11:00 a.m. – Lunch available for registered athletes and coaches
4:00 p.m. – Approximate finish time for competition and awards
Coach’s Meeting – Tuesday, April 21
Registration is now open for the coach’s meeting that is scheduled for Tuesday, April 21 at 5:00 p.m. Remember, attendance for the coach’s meeting in mandatory, and we have a lot to cover! While all coaches/chaperones are encouraged to attend, only one representative from your delegation is required. Many of your questions will be answered here, so make sure at least one person from your delegation listens. A recording of the webinar will be linked on this web page following the meeting.
- In the interest of time and our unique facility constraints, we have maximized the use of the pool. This means the majority of the divisions will be heated with other divisions and we will make every attempt to separate divisions with a lane.
- Please note that we will offer one relay for the 2020 competition.
- Official USA Swimming stroke/turn judges and referees will officiate at this meet.
- Please indicate hearing/visually impaired on registration form.
- All competition will take place in a deep pool.
- All events will run according to the SONC sport rules and modifications, SOI Sport Rules for Swimming, and USA Swimming. Links are found on the SONC Swimming web page.
- Unified Sports relays are welcome.
Awards will be presented as each division finishes.
Saturday: Dinner on your own
Sunday: Breakfast at hotels (if staying in hotel); Lunch provided for all registered athletes and coaches at Greensboro Aquatic Center.
There will be water coolers and drinking fountains in the facility for refillable water bottles.
Concessions will be on sale starting at 10:00am. The GAC will have hot dogs, drinks, popcorn, pretzels, etc. for sale.
Special Olympics North Carolina will also be selling SONC-themed souvenirs. A limited number of event t-shirts will be for sale.
Our host program, Special Olympics North Carolina – Guilford/Greensboro is proud to host the dance for the Southeast U.S. Swimming Invitational on Saturday, April 25. The theme of the dance is “Kentucky Derby.” Tunes from our favorite DJ, Tony Williams, will fill the rec center.
This dance will be organized by the local athlete council, so it will be sure to be a good time! It will take place at Lindley Recreation Center. Only registered delegation members are welcome to attend. Many athletes from the Guilford/Greensboro area will be in attendance as well!
Head of Delegation Responsibilities
Local Program Preparation Checklist
Sample Delegation Pre-Games Coaches Meeting Agenda (provided by Charyl Clark, Local Coordinator for Guilford/Greensboro)
Sport Nutrition Tips