Welcome to Special Olympics New Hanover County!
More than 500 athletes train year-round in 13 different sports and compete in local, regional and state-level events. Special Olympics New Hanover County partners with Wilmington Parks and Recreation for use of facilities and equipment. Our offices are located at 302 Willard Street in Downtown Wilmington.
If you are interested in volunteering, we would love to have your help and support. Volunteers can serve in a variety of ways: data entry, coaching, staffing events, presenting awards, registering athletes at local competitions and more. Please contact the local coordinator to get involved! Special Olympics reveals the champion in us all!
Athletes must meet the following requirements to participate:
- Meet Special Olympics eligibility.
- Have a completed and current Athlete Participation Form on file with Special Olympics New Hanover County.
- Meet minimum age requirements for the sport
Athletes are expected to attend practices for team sports and individual sports. Practices are held at least once a week at various locations depending on the sport, and competition opportunities are offered for each during the season.
- Local dances, fall/spring banquets, Farm Fest, Fall Expo, basketball skills day and much more.
Partner Up Power Up
This ten-week training program is a Unified program so individuals with and without intellectual disabilities can train together. It can be fully done from home with materials provided and online resources available for those who can access them. See more!
Thanks to our sponsors:
- Cycling: Monday nights 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. parking lot at Legion Stadium (location may change)
- Unified Flag Football: Monday nights 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. at UNCW
- Soccer Team: Tuesday nights from 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. in the outfield of softball field at MLK Center
- Soccer Skills: Tuesday nights from 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. in the outfield of softball field at MLK Center
- Bocce: Tuesday nights 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. at Inland Greens
- Softball Team: Wednesday nights 6 p.m. – 7 p.m., softball field at MLK Center
- Tee-Ball: Wednesday (subject to change) nights 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. softball field at MLK Center
- Tennis: Thursdays 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. at Empire Park
- Golf: Each golfer and partner pair plan their own time to go (dependent on if I find new golf coaches)
- Skiing/Snowboarding: Must have prior knowledge- date TBD
- Young Athletes Session: There will be exercising, skills games and more! Thursdays from 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. (subject to change)