Welcome to Special Olympics Mecklenburg County!
Special Olympics Mecklenburg County offers community-based and school-based programs to more than 3,350 athletes participating in 19 sports, including Unified sports. Over 2,000 community volunteers help with the year-round sports programming, serving as coaches, event staff and/or general volunteers.
Become an athlete
Special Olympics Mecklenburg County offers sports training and competition for individuals with an intellectual disability ages 8 and up. Young Athletes programming is available for children ages 2-7.
Become a volunteer
Volunteers are a vital part of Special Olympics. From helping with fundraising activities to assisting at practices, volunteers are always welcome and appreciated! Volunteers must be at least 14 years old.
Become a coach
Coaching Special Olympics athletes may be one of the most rewarding things you do! We provide all the training necessary to help you and the athletes succeed! Coaches must be at least 18 years old.
- SO Mecklenburg County Community-Based Family Guide
- APE Lesson Plan Ideas for Track and Field
- APE Lesson Plan Ideas for Softball Skills
- APE Lesson Plan Ideas for Soccer Skills
- APE Lesson Plan Ideas for Individual Basketball Skills
- APE Lesson Plan Ideas for Bocce
- Cue Words and Concepts for Bocce
- Motor Activities Training Program (MATP) Guiding Document
- Competition and Training Notebook (General Information)
- Developmental Bowling Tutorial
- MATP description
- Track and Field Description
- Softball Skills Description