Special Olympics Buncombe County is sponsored by Buncombe County Recreation Services and serves nearly 480 children and adults with intellectual disabilities throughout the county. One of our largest events is the annual Spring Games!
The 2020 Buncombe County Springs date:
Thursday, May 7*
*Rain date: Friday, May 8
- 8:15 – 8:45 am – Arrival
- 9:00 am – Line up on visitors side of field (See changes to Opening Ceremony Parade of Athletes below)
- 9:15 am – Opening Ceremony
- 10:00 am – Competition
- 11:30am – Lunch
- 1:30 – 2:00pm – Departure
TC Roberson High School Football Field
250 Overlook Road, Asheville, NC 28803
Entry forms are due by 4:00 pm, Friday, March 20, 2020. If forms are not received by this date, you will not be allowed to participate. No forms will be accepted after the deadline. No event substitutions are allowed after the deadline.
Be sure all information is accurate and complete. Remember to enter measurements in meters (use this online calculator for assistance). Forms will be rejected if not filled out correctly.
Each athlete can enter up to 2 events. Only those competing in a relay may enter 3 events. Please remember that athletes should compete in events that exhibit their maximum potential. Be sure your athletes are competing in events that are challenging. Please have athletes stay in their categories, Developmental, Traditional, Lead up and Wheel Chair – No crossover will be accepted. In case of crossover, the event on highest level will be accepted and the lowest one removed. No exceptions.
The forms required for each Track and Field athlete are located below:
- Time entry form: Traditional
- Time entry form: Wheelchair
- Time entry form: Developmental and Motor Activity Games
Please make sure that you record the required time and distances for each event that the athlete is entering. Please make sure that a form is turned in for each athlete. Make sure on the day of the event that the Athlete tag is in place with their events on the back of their t-shirt. No Tag – No event. Keep a copy of all forms for your records.
All forms and physicals are due by 4:00 pm, Friday, March 20, 2020. Complete all information blanks and sign and date the forms. Athletes may not enter any event the day of spring games. Please e-mail a list of your athletes as soon as possible so we can check for missing forms well in advance of the deadlines.
Check out the forms checklist to ensure you’re all set before Spring Games!
- Register your school or organization with contact information for lead contact (Due November 22, 2019)
- Send (via e-mail) in your potential list of athletes (Due December 21, 2019). This will allow us to verify which athletes already have paperwork in our system.
- Send in Athletes, Volunteer, and Teacher T-Shirt Order (Due February 7, 2020)
- Athlete Participation Forms (APF’s) and Release Forms Signed (Due March 20, 2020). If your school is sending “Young Athletes” you will need to use the Young Athlete Registration Form.
- Fill out all entry forms (Make sure to follow the format noted on the top of each sheet. Use meters rather than feet or inches) (Due March 20, 2020)
- Submit your lunch counts (Due April 3, 2020)
- Submit any Opening Ceremony Nominations (Seniors Only) (Due April 3, 2020)
- Make your school sign! (Due before Spring Games)
Track and Field Schedule:
Will be available in January 2020
Track and Field General Information
- All events will be held in order of the youngest age grouping to the oldest.
- Developmental events will be staged in the turn on the flagpole side of the track.
- 25 and 50 meter events will start on the home straightaway.
- 100 meter events will start on the visitor straightaway.
- Field events will be held in an open pit format; athletes have until 11:15 a.m. to complete their attempts.
- A sign-in area will be set up near each starting line. Check-in will begin 15 minutes in advance of the start.
- Call for events will be made over the Public Address System (PA), and the schedule will be posted in several locations around the stadium.
In order to prevent the time delays that have interfered with athletic events in the past, we will not be announcing each school individually during the Opening Ceremony. Instead schools are encouraged to create their own signs and “spirit” items to identify their contingent and support their athletes. We encourage schools to enter the stadium as a group before taking their position on the track for Opening Ceremony.
Please note: We will not line up school and organizations in any particular location, teachers and volunteers are asked to keep their group together.
Training is very important and you can start anytime! Every athlete competing must be actively training for at least eight weeks prior to the event. Please be sure that all athletes know the proper way to participate in their events. The shot put is available for athletes age 12 and older. Proper technique is a must in this sport.
The Adapted PE teacher or PE Teacher in your school may be able to assist the classes with training. This will help to make sure that all entry forms are completed correctly using meters not inches or feet (use this online calculator for assistance). It is the responsibility of the teacher to ensure that all entry forms are accurate and submitted by 4:00 pm, Friday, March 20, 2020.
T-shirt orders will be due early this year in an effort to have a more accurate count of sizes. Please turn in all t-shirt order forms for athletes, teachers, and school volunteers/buddies no later than Friday, February 7, 2020, these shirts are provided free of charge. Family members may purchase a t-shirt for $10 each, orders must be turned in no later than Friday, March 27, 2020. Payments must be submitted with family order t-shirts at the time of submission. All shirts will have the same design. Please check sizes when picking up shirts. No exchanges after shirts are picked up will be permitted. If you are not sure of a size, order a size up.
Things to remember for Spring Games 2020
- Athlete, teacher and volunteer T-Shirt orders must be submitted by Friday, February 7, 2020.
All other T-Shirt orders must be submitted by Friday, March 27, 2020.
- All athlete participation forms are due to Special Olympics Buncombe County
by Friday, March 20, 2020.
- All event registration forms are due to Special Olympics Buncombe County
by Friday, March 20, 2020.
- All events need to pick up their medals right after the race.
This is the teacher’s and the athlete’s buddy responsibility.
- Schools and Group Homes – T-Shirts and Packets will be delivered to schools the Monday before Spring Games on Thursday. If you need additional shirts you can pick them up the morning of Spring Games at the event. Double check your sizes before submitting order.
- Individuals – T-Shirts and Packets will be available for pick up at the Special Olympics office on Monday or Tuesday the week of Spring Games. Please call ahead.
Please e-mail any questions, comments or concerns that you might have for this year games. We are always looking for ways to improve the process.