This page provides information for leadership volunteers across North Carolina to keep them informed of new resources and opportunities from SONC while also sharing regular reminders on practices and policies. Visit it regularly to stay informed!
Fundraising Events Training – Recording
Thank you to all who joined the virtual training session on managing fundraising events. Access the recording of the training for review.
Updated Local Program Logo Guidelines
It’s important to maintain the Special Olympics brand by correctly using your local program logos. Be sure to check out the revised local program logo guidelines as you begin designing your T-shirts, banners and more for upcoming competitions and events. View the guidelines here!
Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Swimming Invitational
We are thrilled to announce the return of the 2023 Southeast U.S. Swimming Invitational at the Greensboro Aquatic Center on Saturday, April 29! Registration for this event is now open. Delegations must complete the online registration form for each member of the delegation.
- Tuesday, April 4: Registration due to SONC
- Friday, April 7: Registration verification sent to head of delegation of each program
- Tuesday, April 11: Registration verification due back to SONC to confirm registration
- Friday, April 14: Head of Delegation webpage updated with competition information
2023 Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Swimming Registration Form
Additional information on competition, housing and overall event information will be released in the coming weeks. For questions contact the SONC Sports Department at email@example.com.
Upcoming Invitationals: Swimming & Bowling
Thank you to all the programs who have inquired about summer invitationals and have athletes/teams excited and training for these opportunities. There are variety of swimming and bowling invitationals this summer season and we hope you can join. See the events below and the right-hand side of this page for more details!
- Sunday, April 2 – Swim Invitational – Iredell County
- Sunday, April 2 – Cancelled – Bowling Invitational – Union/Mecklenburg Counties
- Saturday, April 29 – Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Swimming Invitational – Greensboro
- Sunday, May 21 – Unified Bowling Invitational – Gaston County
- Thursday, May 25 – Unified Bowling Invitational – Brunswick County
2023 Summer Sport Training Season – Let’s Get Started!
It is time to collect information on sport training happening locally across the state this season. Please note that this step is part of your local program accreditation. If you are not hosting any summer sport training:
- You can still register individual community athletes for Partner Up Power Up by completing the roster here.
- We wish you the best if you are hosting a local spring games this season!
- Please consider coming to Summer Games as a guest. Talk to your community resources director if interested.
If you are hosting any summer sport training:
Step 1 of training season: Due Tuesday, April 11
Tell SONC who is practicing/training – Complete the this training roster. Key things to remember:
- It includes everyone (athletes, Unified partners, coaches and chaperones) doing any sport training this season, even those who do not plan to go to a state-level event.
- Don’t forget your skills athletes!
- This roster can also include any athletes who simply want to do Partner Up Power Up.
- To be eligible for state-level competition, an individual must be included on these initial training rosters.
- This roster is not registration for state-level events.
- Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Due Tuesday, April 11
Submit all supporting paperwork (Athlete Participation Packets, volunteer screening forms, Unified partner forms). Remember all forms should be in hand before anyone participates in a practice/training.
Bonus tip: As in-person coach training schools have just concluded, it is a great time to make sure all of the coaches with your delegation are updated with certifications. Visit the Coach and Sport Resources page to learn more!
Partner Up Power Up is Back!
Our spring season of Partner Up Power Up began this week and we are very excited to get this eight-week health and fitness program going once again. Please note:
- If you submitted an early training roster, those individuals are automatically registered and we have spoken to you about receiving playbooks. The entire playbook is also online.
- A full resource webpage features all exercises, which have accompanying videos.
- Recognition and sport items will go out in a few weeks.
- When you submit your summer sport training rosters in a few weeks as your sport seasons kick off, those individuals will also be automatically registered. This program can start for those individuals at any time; playbooks and materials are not dated. We will work with you on the number of playbooks you would like to receive.
- Please help us share the news for everyone to join us for the bonus online training sessions every Tuesday at 6 p.m. The Zoom link is in the playbook.
- Here is the latest list of schools participating in the program. They have been informed that this is currently separate from Spring Games registration but they may need reminders from you as well.
GMS Training & Resources
Thank you to all who joined the Games Management System (GMS) training. Access a recording of the training for review. Before viewing the training, please complete the following:
- Reach out to your community resource director to get the most up-to-date version of GMS on your laptop along with the most current export of athletes in your program.
- Please review the GMS videos posted on the Event Planning Resource page.
Have you created your registration form for Spring Games? If not, remember that we have a Microsoft Forms template for your modification. That template can be found HERE.