What is the Triad Chill?
The Triad Chill is a unique fundraising opportunity for individuals, organizations and businesses to support Special Olympics NC by jumping into frigid water at Wet’n Wild Emerald Pointe in the middle of winter. Due to the pandemic, this year’s Triad Chill will be held May 1. Even more brrr-ave individuals can show their support for Special Olympics NC this year by participating in the virtual Plunge option!
Whether you’re looking to dip your toes or make a big splash, you’ll be a true hero in the lives of the Special Olympics athletes you’ll be supporting!
Please note that in the case of event cancellation due to inclement weather or other reasons, no refund will be provided.
Special Olympics North Carolina is continuing with plans to hold the Triad Chill Polar Plunge in Greensboro on May 1 unless conditions related to COVID-19 prevent the fundraising event from being held. If the fundraiser has to be cancelled, we will apply any donations made to the 2022 event. Instructions about how events will be held in terms of people maintaining safe distancing and other safety measures will be released prior to the event.
Special Olympics North Carolina will follow state health official’s guidance in dealing with COVID-19. State health officials highly encourage everyone to practice social distancing of at least 6 feet as well as frequent hand washing and to stay at home if they are not feeling well or have symptoms of COVID-19. Under an executive order, cloth face coverings are required for anyone in public when physical distancing of 6 feet is not possible.
What’s new this year?
Every Plunger that fundraises or pays $50 will receive our 2021 Triad Chill T-shirt. Every plunger that fundraises $100 will receive the 2021 Triad Chill sweatshirt in addition to the 2021 Triad Chill T-shirt. Plungers can also qualify for extra fundraising incentives by reaching fundraising marks of $250, $500, $750 or $1,000. All incentives will be mailed in early June.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes that are easy to remove – your fingers will be probably be numb after you exit the water.
- You will be exiting the water quickly, so do not wear anything that will be heavy when wet.
- Bring a robe, blanket, towel or jacket to wear while you are waiting to plunge.
- You must wear shoes – the ground will be freezing.
- Bring extra towels to dry off.
- Bring loose fitting clothes to change into after the plunge.
- Plunge with friends – it is more fun, especially if you create a crazy costume.
- Remember to smile – photographers will be taking your picture.