Special Olympics North Carolina Summer Games 2018
Special Olympics North Carolina (SONC) welcomes college students as well as middle and high school students from Unified Champion Schools across the state to come out and volunteer at Summer Games in Raleigh, NC, June 1-3!
Housing, meals, and transportation will be provided at the event. Students will stay on campus at North Carolina State University where most of the weekend’s events will be held. Inclusive youth leader pairs are encouraged to apply!
Volunteers are responsible for coordinating their own transportation to/from Raleigh (pick-up and drop-off will happen at SONC headquarters: 2200 Gateway Centre Blvd., Suite 201, Morrisville, NC, 27560).
When? Friday June 1 – Sunday June 3, 2018.
Where? North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Deadline to apply: May 11, 2018. Register here!
For more information or questions, please contact Unified Champion School staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Olympics Unified Champion Schools
Special Olympics Unified Champion Schools bring youth with and without intellectual disabilities together through sports and education to create school communities of acceptance and respect. Unified Champion Schools are seen through every level of education (Pre-K/Head Start through college) and are driven by youth and staff leaders. View the Unified Champion Schools Impact Statement.
Special Olympics North Carolina 314 official Unified Champion Schools across the state. Are you ready to join the movement?
2017-2018 Unified Champion Schools Commitment
To be an official Unified Champion School, a school must be committed to do the following:
- Identify at least 1 student liaison and 1 staff liaison (educator, counselor, etc.) to lead the Unified Champion School efforts
- Start an inclusive Unified Club (for students with and without intellectual disabilities) within the school
- Offer a Unified Sport in at least 1 season during the school year
- Identify an adult coach (for each sport offered) to complete the online Coaching Special Olympics Unified Sports Certification (contact your Youth Initiatives Director for the link and code)
- Host at least 2 whole-school engagement activities per school year
- Complete the mid-term and final report for SONC and the end of the year staff liaison survey
From December 2nd to 9th, an inclusive group of North Carolina youth and educators met with youth leaders and educators in China to strategize on project plans to implement to promote inclusion in their schools and communities. The delegation traveled to multiple Chinese cities and participated in leadership development sessions and inclusive activities. Read more about their journey.