Sycamore Creek Elementary School teacher named WRAL Teacher of the Week
Congratulations to Pamela Hoke for being recognized as the WRAL Teacher of the Week! Ms. Hoke works to make her school a more inclusive and accepting place for students with and without intellectual disabilities through the Unified Champion Schools program. View her spotlight.
Special Olympics Unified Champion Schools
Special Olympics Unified Champion Schools bring youth with and without intellectual disabilities together through sports and education to create school communities of acceptance and respect. Unified Champion Schools are seen through every level of education (Pre-K/Head Start through college) and are driven by youth and staff leaders. View the Unified Champion Schools Impact Statement.
Special Olympics North Carolina 314 official Unified Champion Schools across the state. Are you ready to join the movement?
2018-2019 Unified Champion Schools Commitment
To be an official Unified Champion School, a school must be committed to do the following:
- Identify at least 1 student liaison and 1 staff liaison (educator, counselor, etc.) to lead the Unified Champion School efforts
- Start an inclusive Unified Club (for students with and without intellectual disabilities) within the school
- Offer a Unified Sport in at least 1 season during the school year
- Identify an adult coach (for each sport offered) to complete the online Coaching Special Olympics Unified Sports Certification (contact your Youth Initiatives Director for the link and code)
- Host at least 2 whole-school engagement activities per school year
- Complete the mid-term and final report for SONC and the end of the year staff liaison survey
North Carolina Participates in Youth Leadership Experience at USA Games
Rising Seniors Olivia Rudolph and Sydie Garrett from Wake Forest High School were selected to represent the state of North Carolina in the first ever Youth Leadership Experience (YLE) at USA Games. Sydie and Olivia participated in a number of leadership opportunities from acting as on-site reporters at competition venues to volunteering at the Young Athletes Festival! “We loved the YLE experience! It was amazing and left us with lots of newfound knowledge on Unified Clubs. Specifically, we loved getting to hear other people’s ideas for fundraising and activities, getting to shadow Hasbro, and working with young athletes. We can’t wait to bring new ideas back to North Carolina!”