Every four years, Special Olympics holds a national competition for Special Olympics athletes across the United States. Special Olympics USA Games were held July 1-6, 2018 in Seattle, Washington.
60 North Carolina athletes and Unified Partners (individuals without intellectual disabilities who train and compete alongside Special Olympics athletes) competed in artistic gymnastics, athletics, basketball, bocce, bowling, golf, powerlifting, swimming, tennis, Unified flag football and volleyball.
Special Olympics North Carolina used the advancement criteria set forth by Special Olympics, Inc. to select the athletes who are a part of Team NC. Gold medal winners from all ability level divisions were put into a random drawing in order to be selected for participation in the Games. For more information, view SONC’s 2018 Special Olympics USA Games Fact Sheet.
Relive all of the USA Games action with Team NC below!
Follow Team NC’s journey in Seattle in our newsletters, linked below!
- View the official Team NC announcement videos
- Aly Sheedy (Team NC swimming) featured on WCTI NewsChannel 12
- Amy Bennett and Nikki Stapleton (Team NC tennis) featured as WBTV’s February Athlete Spotlight
- Rachel Murrell (Team NC bowling) featured in Carteret County News-Times
- Bryan Henry (Team NC swimming) featured on ABC11
- Chase Stroud (Team NC bocce) featured in Statesville Record & Landmark
- Team NC basketball featured in Shelby Star and as WBTV’s March Athlete Spotlight
- Annie Van Zandt (Team NC swimming) featured on WXII 12