Every four years, Special Olympics holds a national competition for Special Olympics athletes across the United States. The next Special Olympics USA Games will be held July 1-6, 2018 in Seattle, Washington.
Special Olympics North Carolina will bring athletes to compete in artistic gymnastics, athletics, bocce, bowling, golf, powerlifting, swimming and tennis.
Two students from Wake Forest High School, one special education and one traditional education, will also attend the Games as part of the delegation. These two students have been outstanding youth leaders through the Unified Champion Schools program in their high school and will be gaining even more leadership skills as they help the NC team and interact with other youth leaders in Seattle. Congratulations to Sydie Garrett and Olivia Rudolph!
Special Olympics North Carolina uses the advancement criteria set forth by Special Olympics, Inc. to select the athletes who are a part of Team NC. Gold medal winners from all ability level divisions were put into a random drawing in order to be selected for participation in the Games.
For more information, view SONC’s 2018 Special Olympics USA Games Fact Sheet.
Team NC needs coaches
We are currently seeking coaches to accompany Team North Carolina to the Special Olympics USA Games during the week of July 1-6, 2018 in Seattle! We are looking for coaches in the following sports: artistic gymnastics, athletics, bocce, bowling, golf, powerlifting, swimming and tennis. We will be accepting the first round of applications until July 28, 2017. If you are interested, please fill out this online application. Thank you for all you do for the athletes here in North Carolina!
Additional NC Representatives
The following officials and sport development team members from North Carolina will attend the 2018 USA Games as Technical Delegates:
- Alana Brahler – Golf – Technical Delegate
- Deb Pontenberg – Bocce – Technical Delegate
- Richard Frazier – Powerlifting – Technical Delegate
Officials have also been selected for the Games. Those representing North Carolina include:
- Philip Austin – Athletics
- D’Leeshia Lee – Athletics
- Ron Matos – Athletics
- Eric Gilchrist – Athletics
- Willie Page – Athletics
- Anthony Wayne – Athletics
- Scott Boucher – Bocce
- Scott Clark – Bocce (Guilford/High Point athlete!)
- Anthony Smith – Bocce
- Charlotte Smith – Bocce
- Marsha Smith – Bocce
- Elijah Frazier – Powerlifting
- Eynde Frazier – Powerlifting
- James Hollis – Powerlifting
- Chris Pearce – Powerlifting
- Kelly Burnette – Swimming
- Thornton Burnette – Swimming
- Kristine Hughes – Volleyball
- Richard Laskey – Volleyball
- Randall McLamb – Volleyball
- Ronald Mutter – Volleyball
- Brian Webb – Volleyball