Every four years, Special Olympics holds a national competition for Special Olympics athletes across the United States. The last Special Olympics USA Games were held in June 14-21, 2014 in New Jersey.
The next USA Games will be during the week of July 4th in 2018 in Seattle, Washington.
In 2014, Special Olympics Team North Carolina consisted of 45 athletes and 16 coaches competing in aquatics, athletics, basketball, bocce, bowling, cycling golf, gymnastics, powerlifting, soccer, tennis and triathlon.
Special Olympics North Carolina uses the advancement criteria set forth by Special Olympics, Inc. to select the athletes who are a part of Team NC. Gold medal winners from all ability level divisions were put into a random drawing in order to be selected for participation in the Games.
Additional NC Representatives
The following officials and sport development team members from North Carolina worked as Technical Delegates or Officials for the 2014 USA Games:
- Alana Brahler – Golf – Technical Delegate
- Deb Pontenberg – Bocce – Technical Delegate
- Richard Frazier – Powerlifting – Technical Delegate
- SONC athlete Kristine Hughes, Rick & Connie Laskey, Randy McLamb, Ronnie Mutter, Stephen Shepherd, and Brian Webb – Volleyball – Officials
- Tony Smith, Scott Boucher, Addie Carmon, Jerry Crisp, Marsha Smith, Merinda Dehart, Marilyn Cahoon, and Betty Lewis – Bocce – Officials
- Zina Parker – Athletics – Official