Special Olympics North Carolina will host the 2019 Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Swimming Invitational on Sunday April 28, 2019 at the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, NC.
Special Olympics programs from North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, and Florida have all competed at the meet in the past in this event, formerly known as Multi-State Aquatics hosted by Special Olympics North Carolina – Wake County. While this meet has changed venues and weekends, competitors can still look forward to a well-run meet with great competition!
Please be on time. Showing up late will interrupt the schedule. Many programs tend to arrive a little early and that is fine. However, please remember that check-in will not begin until the time listed. Please allow us to get set up and ready for your delegations before you expect to be checked-in. For programs attending the dance, you will be able to check-in at the dance, get your t-shirts and other items.
Wednesday, April 24
6:00 pm The coaches webinar is held for all coaches/chaperone attending the event. Please click here to register. While coaches/chaperones are encouraged to attend, only one representative from your delegation is required. A recording of the webinar will be linked on this web page following the meeting.
Saturday, April 27
6:00 pm Early team check-in at Lindley Recreation Center (Receive arrival packet, meet information, and t-shirts)
6:00 pm – 7:30 pm Dance at Lindley Recreation Center (light refreshments will be available)
Sunday, April 28
8:00 am Check-in opens at Greensboro Aquatics Center (Receive arrival packet, meet information and t-shirts)
8:30 am Athletes in 200y Freestyle report to staging
8:50 am Opening Ceremony
9:15 am Competition begins
4:00 pm Approximate finish time for competition and awards
Competition Information for delegations
- Event Program (divisions and heats)
- Athlete events by delegation – this is a guide to help HOD’s and head coaches know when their athletes are competing throughout the day
- Order of Events
Coaches Meeting – Wednesday, April 24 6:00 pm
Please click here to view a recording of the online coaches meeting. Remember, attendance for the coaches meeting in mandatory, and we had a lot to cover! Many of your questions will be answered here, so make sure at least one person from your delegation listens.
- In the interest of time and our unique facility constraints, we have maximized the use of the pool. This means the majority of the divisions within the heats will not be separated by lanes. Please make your athletes and parents aware of this change.
- Official USA Swimming stroke/turn judges and referees will officiate at this meet.
- Please indicate hearing/visually impaired on registration form.
- All competition will take place in a deep pool.
- All events will run according to the SONC sport rules and modifications, SOI Sport Rules for Swimming, and USA Swimming. Links are found on the SONC Swimming web page.
- Unified Sports relays are welcome.
Awards will be presented in two sessions for the day; please refer to the order of events. Athletes will be staged for awards in the same room they are staged for competition. Please listen to announcements to make sure your athletes are on time.
Registration for this event is closed.
- SONA Endorsement Form (required for programs outside of North Carolina. Registrations will not be officially counted until this completed form, signed off by your state program, is received by SONC).
- Delegation Information Summary & Payment Form (registration fee of $25 per person that includes facility costs, lunch on Sunday, and event t-shirt)
- Individual Event Registration Form
- Relay Team Registration Form
- Non-Athlete Roster
Tuesday, March 26, 2019 – All registration forms due to Special Olympics North Carolina at firstname.lastname@example.org. Checks from outside North Carolina programs can be mailed to:
Special Olympics North Carolina
Attn: Southeast Swimming
2200 Gateway Centre Blvd, Suite 201
Morrisville, NC 27560
Friday, April 5, 2019 – Registration verification sent to Head of Delegation for each program to check for accuracy.
Tuesday, April 9, 2019 – Registration verification due back to SONC at email@example.com to confirm registration.
Friday, April 19, 2019 – Head of Delegation information available (divisions/heats,etc.)
Saturday: Dinner on your own
Sunday: Breakfast at hotels (if staying in hotel); Lunch provided for all registered athletes and coaches at Greensboro Aquatic Center.
There will be water coolers and drinking fountains in the facility for refillable water bottles.
Concessions will be on sale starting at 10:00am. The GAC will have hot dogs, drinks, popcorn, pretzels, etc. for sale.
Special Olympics North Carolina will also be selling SONC-themed souvenirs. A limited number of event t-shirts will be for sale.
All hotel reservations and payments should be handled by each individual delegation. Special Olympics North Carolina has reserved room blocks at the following hotels. Both hotels offer a rate of $104.00 + tax/night and include breakfast. Please mention Special Olympics Swimming when booking your room.
Holiday Inn Express Greensboro (I-40@Wendover)
4305 Big Tree Way
Greensboro, NC 27409
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Greensboro Airport
645 South Regional Road
Greensboro, NC 27409
Our host program, Special Olympics North Carolina – Guilford/Greensboro is proud to host the dance for the Southeast Swimming Invitational. The theme of the dance is “Western.” Tunes from our favorite DJ, Tony Williams, will fill the rec center.
This dance will be organized by the local athlete council, so it will be sure to be a good time! It will take place at Lindley Recreation Center. Only registered delegation members are welcome to attend. Many athletes from the Guilford/Greensboro area will be in attendance as well!
Head of Delegation Responsibilities
Local Program Preparation Checklist
Sample Delegation Pre-Games Coaches Meeting Agenda (provided by Charyl Clark, Local Coordinator for Guilford/Greensboro)
Sport Nutrition Tips