SONC began offering gymnastics competition in 1979. Athlete participation has grown in recent years, and this sport continues to be a staple of Summer Games.
- Gymnastics Calendar
- Artistic Gymnastics compulsory routines & music
- Rhythmic Gymnastics routines
- Rhythmic Gymnastics music
- Special Olympics Rhythmic Gymnastics Quick Start Guide – printable version
- Special Olympics Rhythmic Gymnastics Coaching Guide
- Other SOI Coaching Resources
- USA Gymnastics
- Gymnastics Judges Scoresheets:
Competition is offered in four categories:
- Men’s Artistic Events (floor exercise, pommel horse, rings, vault, parallel bars, horizontal bar)
- Women’s Artistic Events (vault, uneven bars, balance beam, floor exercise)
- Artistic Levels A & B (vault, single bar, wide beam, floor exercise). Artistic Levels A & B are co-ed competitions geared towards athletes who are just starting gymnastics, or are more successful at the fundamentals of gymnastics skills.
- Rhythmic Gymnastics (ball, hoop, ribbon, clubs, rope)
Athletes may compete in all events offered (All Around) or may be Specialists, competing in one, two, or more events (but not all events).
USA Gymnastics and Special Olympics, Inc. have partnered to offer the USA Gymnastics Special Olympics Championships held each year in Georgia in early May. Details regarding this event will be made available at a later date.
SONC Summer Games takes place in Raleigh the first weekend of June.
Mecklenburg County Gymnastics Invitational – Saturday, April 14, 2018
Mecklenburg County will be hosting a Gymnastics Invitational at Perfect Balance Training Center on Saturday, April 14, 2018. Click here for more information.
Sport Development Team
These volunteers advise SONC staff regarding sport rule modifications, competition and also train coaches in their sport! For more information on the athletics sport development team, contact one of the members below or Andrea Stamm, SONC staff liaison.
Scott Davis, SDT Director