This page is available to leadership volunteers across North Carolina to keep them informed of new resources and opportunities from SONC while also sharing out regular reminders on practices and policies. Visit it regularly to stay informed!
SONC Staff Update
As of August 13th, Lauren Saulter has relocated to Pennsylvania to be closer to family. We wish her all the best and would like to remind all Local Programs that need sports-related assistance to please email email@example.com while the hiring process is underway. Please stay tuned for Community Resource and Sport department staff updates!
SONC Equestrian Tournament Quota Requests Now Due
Don’t forget: the deadline for submitting quota requests for the 2018 Equestrian Tournament is Tuesday, August 21st. Please be sure to fill out this online quota request form to let us know how many athletes and Unified partners you would like to bring.
World Games Updates
Preparations for the Special Olympics World Games are well underway in Abu Dhabi scheduled for March 2019. North Carolina will be well-represented!
- Several individuals from North Carolina will assist with officiating and actually managing competition at the Games.
- Chapel Hill Police Special Events Officer Phillip Smith has been selected to participate in the Final Leg of the Torch Run.
- Dr. Tim Taft will serve as medical staff for Special Olympics USA.
- Four coaches from North Carolina have been selected to serve on the USA Team. These coaches went through a separate application process directly with Special Olympics USA.
Of course the best representation will be the athletes who go to compete in Abu Dhabi! North Carolina received a total of four quota slots for the World Games. Interviews are now being conducted and athletes will be announced shortly. The slots and the selection processes are as follows:
|Athletics||Male||based on a pilot program where USA Games are used as a qualifying event to move on to World Games|
|Athletics||Female||random draw from gold medal winners at 2018 SONC Summer Games|
|Swimming – high performance||Male||based on a pilot program where USA Games are used as a qualifying event to move on to World Games|
|Swimming||Male||random draw from gold medal winners at 2018 SONC Summer Games|
Fall 2018 Training Schools
Registration for fall training schools is open. Please click here to sign up for one of the following dates.
September 15th – Smithfield, NC
September 23rd – Greensboro, NC
West training school information soon to come!
State-level event dates are set for the 2018-2019 program year
Mark your calendars!
Equestrian Tournament – September 28-30, 2018 in Raleigh
Fall Tournament – Nov. 9-11, 2018 in the Charlotte area
SONC Winter Games – January 6-7, 2019 in Boone/Blowing Rock
Southeast Winter Games- February 3-5, 2019 in Boone/Blowing Rock
Summer Games – May 31-June 2, 2019 in the Raleigh area
New fundraising opportunities will raise valuable funds for the next 50 years
The 50th anniversary is an excellent time to bring new people and funds into the movement. There are multiple fundraising programs happening throughout the state that you should be aware of!
- LETR $50 for 50: Torch Run officers will pledge at least $50 in order to run in their Torch Run relay leg. Participating law enforcement agencies who raise $2,000 or more from runner pledges for their relay will receive a Special Olympics 50th Anniversary commemorative torch for their agency. This fundraiser has the standard 15% revenue share with local programs.
- Commemorative Coin and Pin: This collaboration with SOI allows individiuals to donate $50 and receive their choice of a limited-edition 50th anniversary gold coin or gold pin. This program has a 50-50 revenue share between SONC and SOI.
- Local program pledge sheet: athletes, youth leaders and volunteers can use the attached pledge sheet to collect donations in honor of the 50th anniversary. All of this money stays in the local program.