Special Olympics North Carolina athletes have excelled at multiple regional competition opportunities.
Mecklenburg County athletes showed off their skills at the 2018 Special Olympics Xperience Tennis Invitational in Virginia, January 11-13.
- Kara Diachenko – Silver medal
- Kevin Olin – Silver medal
- Steven Burger – Bronze medal
Athletes from McDowell County were very successful at the 2018 Southeast Powerlifting competition in Georgia, January 12-14.
- Michael Grant – Gold in Bench Press, Dead Lift and combined overall
- Katie Hall – Silver in Bench Press, Silver in Dead Lift and Silver combined overall
- John Ray – Silver in Bench Press, Dead Lift and combined overall
- T.J. Watkins – Gold in Dead Lift, Silver in Bench Press and Silver in combined overall
- Willie Wilkerson – Silver in Dead Lift, Silver in Bench Press and Gold combined overall
North Carolina hosted two regional competitions in early February: 2018 Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Winter Games – Ice Skating in Indian Trail, February 2-3 and the 2018 Special Olympics Southeast U.S. Winter Games – Alpine Skiing in Blowing Rock, February 4-6. Results for SE Alpine and SE Ice Skating are available online.