Welcome to Special Olympics New Hanover County!
More than 500 athletes train year-round in 13 different sports and compete in local, regional and state-level events. Special Olympics New Hanover County partners with Wilmington Parks and Recreation for use of facilities and equipment. Our offices are located at 302 Willard Street in Downtown Wilmington.
If you are interested in volunteering, we would love to have your help and support. Volunteers can serve in a variety of ways: data entry, coaching, staffing events, presenting awards, registering athletes at local competitions and more. Please contact the local coordinator to get involved! Special Olympics reveals the champion in us all!
Athletes must meet the following requirements to participate:
- Meet Special Olympics eligibility.
- Have a completed and current Athlete Participation Form on file with Special Olympics New Hanover County.
- Meet minimum age requirements for the sport
Athletes are expected to attend practices for team sports and individual sports. Practices are held at least once a week at various locations depending on the sport, and competition opportunities are offered for each during the season.
Volunteers and Volunteer Coaches Needed
Volunteers are the foundation of Special Olympics New Hanover County, making all that we do possible!
In addition, dedicated individuals are needed to coach and train athletes for local and state level competitions in all sports. If you are interested in coaching with Special Olympics New Hanover County, please complete the Volunteer Screening Form and submit it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please contact us at 910-341-7253
- Local Dances, Fall/Spring Banquets, Farm Fest, Fall Expo, Basketball Skills Day and much more.
Spring Games 2019
Postponed Date: Friday, May 3, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.
Location: Eugene Ashley High School
555 Halyburton Memorial Pkwy., Wilmington NC 28412
Date: Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
Location: Halyburton Park
4099 S 17th St, Wilmington, NC 28412
Camp Shriver: free camp filled with sports, art activities, special guests, and daily swimming. Registration is due by June 10.
- 2-7 years old: June 19-21; location TBD
- 8-15 years old: June 24-28 at Williston Middle School (401 S 10th St, Wilmington)
- 15-21 years old: July 8-12 at Williston Middle School (401 S 10th St, Wilmington)
- 21 and up: July 15-19 at Williston Middle School (401 S 10th St, Wilmington)
- Group Homes: July 22-26 at Williston Middle School (401 S 10th St, Wilmington)