Welcome to Special Olympics Cabarrus County! Based out of Cabarrus County Schools, Special Olympics Cabarrus County serves over 800 children and adults with disabilities throughout the county. Training and competition are offered in 16 sports as well as the Young Athletes Program. Special Olympics Cabarrus County would not be as successful without loyal volunteers. Come out and coach a sport, help out at an event, or serve on the local steering committee, just contact Emily Riley.
Current Volunteer Needs
- UNIFIED GOLF PARTNERS – This fall we are looking for three individuals who can share their golf knowledge with an athlete as well as play 9 hole alternate shot with that athlete. At this time, practice information has not been decided. If you are interested in signing up to be a unified partner, sign up here.
- TENNIS ASSISTANTS – This fall we are looking for volunteers who want to help athletes on our tennis team practice their skills. Practice is on Saturdays starting at the end of August. For more information or to sign up, click here.
- BOWLING ASSISTANTS – We are looking for individuals to help with our Fall bowling practices. Practice will be on Friday evenings at Fox Fire Lanes in Kannapolis. If you are interested in helping, sign up here.
- TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANT – We are in need of a volunteer to help with data entry for our Spring Games. The individual will be trained in GMS and will help input the data starting in January 2019. If you are interested in this position, click here.
- SOCCER COACH & ASSISTANT COACH- This fall we are looking for individuals who want to coach one of our lower level soccer teams. Practices will be on Wednesday nights at Frank Liske Park in Concord at 6:00-7:30 starting on August 28th. If you are interested in one of these volunteer positions with our soccer team, please click here.
- The Cabarrus Thunder Volleyball Team represented Team North Carolina at the USA Games in Seattle at the beginning of July. The 11 athletes and three local coaches had a blast as checked out the sites of Seattle and competed against teams across the United States. We are proud of our team for receiving a 4th place ribbon in their division. Way to go Thunder!!!
- Special Olympics Cabarrus County offers training and competition opportunities in 16 sports for qualifying individuals 8 years old and older. See below for the list of sports that are offered. Sign ups for the 2018-2019 sports Season is under way! Bowling and Swimming have a waiting list but you can still sign up your athlete for those sports. Practice information has not been posted yet but we want to see what the interest is in each sport. Athletes can be signed up by going to https://goo.gl/prF1TY.
- Special Olympics Cabarrus hosted the 2018 Spring Games at Cabarrus Arena and Event Center on April 11th and 12th. We are grateful to all of our sponsors, donors, and volunteers for making the event such a huge success for over 800 athletes in our county. Check out the pictures by Michael Martin from Cabarrus County Schools.
SPRING GAMES 2019
April 10th – Participants are middle school and high school age and adults
April 11th – Participants are elementary school age
Cabarrus Arena and Event Center (4751 NC-49, Concord)
If you know an individual who qualifies for Special Olympics that is not going with a school or agency, please contact Emily Riley to sign-up the athlete to participate in Spring Games.