Welcome to Special Olympics Cabarrus County! Based out of Cabarrus County Schools, Special Olympics Cabarrus County serves over 800 children and adults with disabilities throughout the county. Training and competition are offered in 16 sports as well as the Young Athletes Program. Special Olympics Cabarrus County would not be as successful without loyal volunteers. Come out and coach a sport, help out at an event, or serve on the local steering committee, just contact Emily Riley.
Current Volunteer Needs
- TENNIS ASSISTANTS – This fall we are looking for volunteers who want to help athletes on our tennis team practice their skills. Practice is on Saturdays starting at the end of August. For more information or to sign up, click here.
- BOWLING ASSISTANTS – We are looking for individuals to help with our Fall bowling practices. Practice will be on Friday evenings at Fox Fire Lanes in Kannapolis. If you are interested in helping, sign up here.
- BOCCE ASSISTANTS – We are looking for volunteers who want to help with Bocce practices on Tuesday nights from 6:00 pm at the Cabarrus County Senior Center. Special Olympics Cabarrus County is also in need of volunteers to help assist during the Bocce Invitational on Saturday, October 13th as event referees, court assistants, as well as check-in, lunch, awards, and indoor activities. If you are interested in helping at the invitational, sign up here. If you’re interested in helping with practice, sign up here.
- The Cabarrus Thunder Volleyball Team represented Team North Carolina at the USA Games in Seattle at the beginning of July. The 11 athletes and three local coaches had a blast as checked out the sites of Seattle and competed against teams across the United States. We are proud of our team for receiving a 4th place ribbon in their division. Way to go Thunder!!!
- Special Olympics Cabarrus County offers training and competition opportunities in 17 sports for qualifying individuals 8 years old and older. See below for the list of sports that are offered. Sign ups for the 2018-2019 sports Season is under way! Bowling and Swimming have a waiting list but you can still sign up your athlete for those sports. Practice information has not been posted yet but we want to see what the interest is in each sport. Athletes can be signed up by going to https://goo.gl/prF1TY.
- Special Olympics Cabarrus hosted the 2018 Spring Games at Cabarrus Arena and Event Center on April 11th and 12th. We are grateful to all of our sponsors, donors, and volunteers for making the event such a huge success for over 800 athletes in our county. Check out the pictures by Michael Martin from Cabarrus County Schools.
Saturday, October 13
8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Cabarrus County Senior Center
Truck Convoy for Special Olympics North Carolina
Saturday, October 20
8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
PNC Music Pavilion
707 Pavilion Boulevard, Charlotte
SPRING GAMES 2019
April 10th – Participants are middle school and high school age and adults
April 11th – Participants are elementary school age
Cabarrus Arena and Event Center (4751 NC-49, Concord)
If you know an individual who qualifies for Special Olympics who is not going with a school or agency, please contact Emily Riley to sign-up the athlete to participate in Spring Games.