Find a MedFest event near you!
Special Olympics North Carolina provides MedFest events around the state throughout the year! Check back here to find an event near you as dates become available. If you don’t see your county’s MedFest listed, please contact our Health Director, Ellen Fahey.
- August 16th: Lake Norman MedFest
- October 5th: Stokes County MedFest
- Fall 2019: Charlotte MedFest made possible by Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Fall 2019: Durham MedFest made possible by Duke Health
- Fall 2019: Beaufort County MedFest made possible by Eastern Carolina University
- Fall 2019: Harnett County MedFest made possible by Campbell University
Past 2019 MedFests: Forsyth County, Gaston County, Warren County, New Hanover County
Number of free physicals (2019): 253
A MedFest event:
• Offers a free sports physical, and other health screening services to people with intellectual disabilities (ID).
• Provides individuals with ID who are not yet Special Olympics athletes the means to become Special Olympics athletes.
• Provides individuals who are already Special Olympics athletes the means to remain athletes by supplying the necessary re-qualification physical examination.
• Provides members of the medical community with training and specialized experience in the examination and assessment of people with ID.
• Offers sports demos and wellness activities in the form of a Wellness Fair. This is to promote the local SO sports programming as well as connect athletes to local community health and wellness resources.
Become a MedFest Clinical Director
Medical professionals are needed to help provide physical exams in their communities for local athletes. For more information on becoming a Clinical Director, click here. Those interested in becoming a certified MedFest Clinical Director should reach out to Ellen Fahey at email@example.com.
- Ramona P. Albrecht, MMS, PA-C – Campbell University Physician Assistant Program
- Ashley Fedorov, DO – New Hanover Regional Medical Center
- Peter Allen Fenn, DHSc, MPAS, PA-C – Campbell University Physician Assistant Program, Raleigh Emergency Medicine Associates Inc.
- Justin M. Gambini, PA-C – Campbell University Physician Assistant Program, Wake Emergency Physicians
- Meera M. Gandhi, PA-C – Duke Urgent Care
- Shauna Gutherie, MD – Granville Vance Public Health
- Kendall Held, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Matthew Higgins, MD – Vance Family Medicine
- Nick Horan, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Amanda Neal, PA
- Jordan Sestak, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Burton Shelton, FNP-BC, MSN, CLS, MT (ASCP) – Novant Health, Forsyth Medical Center
- Ian Ward, PA-C – Methodist University Physician Assistant Program, Carolina Eye Associates