Find a MedFest event near you!
Special Olympics North Carolina will provide MedFest events around the state throughout the year! Check back here to find an event near you as dates become available. If you don’t see your counties MedFest listed, please contact our Health Director, Ellen Fahey.
- Spring 2018: Forsyth County
- Spring 2018: Alamance County
- Spring 2018: Catawba County
- October 2018: Mecklenburg County
- Fall 2018: Cape Fear Regional MedFest
- Fall 2018: Vance and Granville Counties
What is a MedFest event?
MedFest was created to offer the physical exam that all athletes need prior to participating in Special Olympics sports programming. It is sometimes the first exposure these athletes have to medical care. This past year, we have held three MedFests: the Cape Fear Regional MedFest, the Charlotte MedFest, and the Vance-Granville MedFest. In total, 229 new and returning athletes received free physical exams and 123 received free dental screenings through the Healthy Athletes Special Smiles discipline!
A MedFest event:
• Offers a free sports physical, and other health screening services to people with intellectual disabilities (ID).
• Provides individuals with ID who are not yet Special Olympics athletes the means to become Special Olympics athletes.
• Provides individuals who are already Special Olympics athletes the means to remain athletes by supplying the necessary re-qualification physical examination.
• Provides members of the medical community with training and specialized experience in the examination and assessment of people with ID.
• Offers sports demos and wellness activities in the form of a Wellness Fair. This is to promote the local SO sports programming as well as connect athletes to local community health and wellness resources.