Find a MedFest event near you!
Special Olympics North Carolina provides MedFest events around the state throughout the year! Check back here to find an event near you as dates become available. If you don’t see your county’s MedFest listed, please contact our Health Director, Ellen Fahey.
- March 20, 2019: Warren County MedFest made possible by the Warren County Health Department & Economic Development Commission
- April 9, 2019: New Hanover County MedFest made possible by Cape Fear Memorial Foundation
- April 26, 2019: Durham County MedFest made possible by Duke Health
- Fall 2019: Charlotte MedFest made possible by Carolinas Rehabilitation
Past 2019 MedFests: Forsyth County, Gaston County
Number of free physicals (2019): 150
A MedFest event:
• Offers a free sports physical, and other health screening services to people with intellectual disabilities (ID).
• Provides individuals with ID who are not yet Special Olympics athletes the means to become Special Olympics athletes.
• Provides individuals who are already Special Olympics athletes the means to remain athletes by supplying the necessary re-qualification physical examination.
• Provides members of the medical community with training and specialized experience in the examination and assessment of people with ID.
• Offers sports demos and wellness activities in the form of a Wellness Fair. This is to promote the local SO sports programming as well as connect athletes to local community health and wellness resources.
Become a MedFest Clinical Director
Medical professionals are needed to help provide physical exams in their communities for local athletes. For more information on becoming a Clinical Director, click here. Those interested in becoming a certified MedFest Clinical Director should reach out to Ellen Fahey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jordan Sestak, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Nick Horan, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Kendall Held, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Shauna Gutherie, MD – Granville Vance Public Health
- Amanda Neal, PA
- Peter Allen Fenn, DHSc, MPAS, PA-C – Campbell University Physician Assistant Program, Raleigh Emergency Medicine Associates Inc.
- Ian Ward, PA-C – Methodist University Physician Assistant Program, Carolina Eye Associates
- Ramona P. Albrecht, MMS, PA-C – Campbell University Physician Assistant Program
- Justin M. Gambini, PA-C – Campbell University Physician Assistant Program, Wake Emergency Physicians