Find a MedFest event near you!
Special Olympics North Carolina will provide MedFest events around the state throughout the year! Check back here to find an event near you as dates become available. If you don’t see your counties MedFest listed, please contact our Health Director, Ellen Fahey.
- September 28, 2018: Mecklenburg County MedFest with Special Smiles hosted by Carolinas Rehab & CMS
- November 8, 2018: Harnett County MedFest hosted by Campbell University
- Spring 2019: Alamance County MedFest
- Spring 2019: New Hanover County MedFest made possible by Cape Fear Memorial Foundation
- Spring 2019: Warren County MedFest with FUNfitness
- Spring 2019: Buncombe County MedFest
- Spring 2019: Gaston County MedFest
A MedFest event:
• Offers a free sports physical, and other health screening services to people with intellectual disabilities (ID).
• Provides individuals with ID who are not yet Special Olympics athletes the means to become Special Olympics athletes.
• Provides individuals who are already Special Olympics athletes the means to remain athletes by supplying the necessary re-qualification physical examination.
• Provides members of the medical community with training and specialized experience in the examination and assessment of people with ID.
• Offers sports demos and wellness activities in the form of a Wellness Fair. This is to promote the local SO sports programming as well as connect athletes to local community health and wellness resources.
Become a MedFest Clinical Director
Medical professionals are needed to help provide physical exams in their communities for local athletes. For more information on becoming a Clinical Director, click here. Those interested in becoming a certified MedFest Clinical Director should reach out to Ellen Fahey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Jordan Sestak, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Dr. Zachary Bailowitz, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Nick Horan, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Kendall Held, Resident – Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Dr. Shauna Gutherie, MD – Granville Vance Public Health
- Amanda Neal, PA